Thursday, April 14, 2011

Finding a way forward together

On my way to work a week ago,  I saw two donkeys struggling to make progress. They were both lashed to a wagon carrying 10 very large bags of cement.   One donkey was leaning his entire body weight to the right, his hooves scrapping on the uneven pavers to pull the wagon to make a right turn,  The other donkey had its head down pulling with all his might to go straight.  All the while, the owner whipped them both from behind but with a mixed message.  The one to pull harder to the right and the other to stop pulling straight.  Not sure the guys were getting the message.


The scenario reminded me of how awful a work environment can be if everyone does not find consensus in the way they work together.

Last week, we held a workshop to prepare civil society groups for an upcoming forum and today I am training my staff on how to develop an action plan.  We will face a particularly arduous task of developing an action plan for a group of people and organizations who work in the field but cannot work together for various political and inter-personel reasons. I am looking forward to the challenge.  The meeting was rescheduled to make sure all the bells and whistles are in place.

This morning I got an omen of sorts.  On my usual morning commute, I passed the same cart and donkeys.  This time, the donkey who knew the way was free (unattached) running a few paces ahead, while the donkey pulling the cart followed, smoothly without either critter getting the whip. How is that for team work?  Not sure how the owner figured out that solution, but I pray for that kind of inspired genious, when 65 organizations pour into the conference room for a 2-day session next Wednesday.  I am putting the final touches on the training module now.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment